Saturday, October 8, 2011

Sandbox

When I hear “Life” I can’t help but picture a bubble web. Why shouldn’t I when it consists of many elements that are broken down into other elements which, when put together, form other elements. That was just one sentence and I have already used the word “elements” three times.

First there’s time made up of years that are made up of months, weeks and days all of which are made of minutes and seconds. Then there are places; the globe that includes your country, which includes your city that includes the streets you grew up on. And of course, there are all the people; people whom you call family, friends and acquaintances. All are yet again broken into groups of those you like and those you dislike. I find it hard to keep up with all the components of this web. But life, with all its elements, we live it!

There are times when, as human beings, we would like to be given the permission to think, feel and act like kids. We won’t stand responsible for our actions and someone else will always stand in the face of all bullets. We would make time stop and live with no margins. The only commitment in our schedules would be “bedtime”. So at such times, we do want to cut loose of all responsibilities because it is so exhausting to live as an adult. We adults are the best grads of Hollywood. Yes, we need to fake smiles, learn extra-sweet words and does it stop there? No, we have got to use them too.

Speaking of kids and childhood, sandboxes always held a special spot in my heart. Something about them is just very nostalgic. Back when I was a child, I remember our parents never had their eyes off us but as soon as we got into the sandbox it would suddenly become okay for us to stay unwatched. We had tiny bodies and the sandbox seemed like a whole desert. It was a different world, a different angle and a different climate altogether. What it did was more than just change the way we looked around us. In fact, it set a completely different mood. Not necessarily better, not necessarily worse – just different; more on “new”. In some occasions or situations, “new” would resemble “fresh”.

And so this sudden change or shift distracted us completely as we sank in the world of “imagination” and maybe “curiosity” too. That’s right, it gave our brains a little break from wondering why our parents were overprotective or why should they watch us all the time or why should we learn how to act a certain way or dress a certain way. And you know what I found out today? This experience we went through years and years ago is no different than the life we live today. Somehow, in my head, sandboxes represent that retreat we need to be at when adulthood gets so tiresome.

We should each find our own sandbox. Where we’re allowed to think that the entire world revolves around us – just for a while. Just for until we felt as though someone hit the “refresh” button. This sandbox of yours could be locking yourself up in your room for ten minutes, walking the dog, a quick drive, a quiet meeting room at your office, the theater or any place or activity that takes you as far as possible from “today” yet as close as possible to “you”. Consequently, Better decisions will be made, less conflict will take place and surely more smiles will be seen. My sandbox consists of a desk, a machine, my thoughts and the ability to express them in writing the way I just did!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WB!! good to see u blogging again :)

Reem B. said...

Thanks AMu :D I hope you like my new post

Anonymous said...

I did..where have u been?

p.s i am still trying to recall u ;p though I can see that I have been a follower of ur blog in past :)

Ammaro said...

haha, wow, thats a big break between posts :p

Reem B. said...

Amu: Once upon a time i used to have the username: Cancerian. And where have I been,,hmm I was trying to settle between work, married life and post grad school. I think I'm doing well with all three now el 7emdilla.

Ammaro: Big break indeed !! Thanks for passing.

Anonymous said...

yaay now I well rem u :D congrats on being settled with all the three things..

Jourie said...

Dearest RB,
Lovely post, filled with thoughts beautifully weaved <3
I think my sandbox would be floating in the beach or pool!
Breathing, being awake and alive and so disconnected from everything around u is just amazing.

Glad you have a lovely escapism which you enjoy doing very much... Which only means we will be reading more of you ...

Xxo

Your BBF