Thursday, August 30, 2007

Some Things Stay

You travel life step by step. And step by step, you move from one stage to another. And from one stage to another, you sometimes change. Sometimes you remain who you are and watch your surroundings eventually and gradually change. But something always stays.

Traveling through life sometimes seems literal. I can swear that some things are just left behind as I moved forward. Just like time, there is no going back. Unlike roads, there is not a single U-turn in this path.
But something really just stays with you.

It is not sad. It only brings your sense of wonder to life. Out of no where you encounter a reminder which acts as what pushes blood through the veins of your thoughts. It tells you that SOMETHING stays despite everything you leave behind. It reminds you…

I was playing my iTunes when suddenly an old song played in my ears. It took me back to some days of my life… a place I used to be in… some concerns that used to torture my mind… a feeling of bitterness and disorientation which used to cloud over me. Yup, we do grow… but our feelings stay. They don’t stay the same, but us humans will always have feelings as life is filled with reminders.

- I still remember that rainy day and my yellow rain coat when I was 12 years old.
- I still remember a lot of people who might have forgotten me by now.
- I still remember some summers ago when I spent a number of days at my grandma’s. I am here now, but time and change united and succeeded in making it feel different today than how it did back then. But I remember how it was, how it felt.
- I still remember the scent of the paint on the walls of my pink room.
- I still remember the smell of the cherry wood cabinets in Mirdif. Sometimes I would open them and sniff that scent as I closed my eyes. There was something about that smell.
- I still remember the scent of basil that took over the entire garden back there.
- I still remember
him… (Allah yer7ama)
- I still remember how I took care of my younger siblings when my parents traveled. I used to stay by my little brother when he felt too afraid to sleep. Where are they now? They’re all taller than I am and they’re never around.
- I still remember how “she” was… it seems like as I grow, the more she goes back to being a teenager. I can’t believe her.
- I still remember the nights of Coca Cola Light and the chocolate coated popcorn boxes. They were the nights of the carefree minds – Staying up all night watching movies knowing that we’re young and tomorrow won’t steal our youth away. I still do that, and I’m still young. But something is different. I’m no longer in that place.
….

The list goes on… and it doesn’t sadden me, it only teaches me that life is this huge playground where people spend days and months and years experimenting and being experimented on until they’re intelligent enough to proudly say they learnt something from their life.

As look back and forth, I notice that one thing has remained amazingly the same. My father. He’s still the strong wise him. He’s still an inspiring person who has really lived a life with all what life could give. Both good and bad. He lived 5 years of his youth in Lebanon during the civil war and saw a lot of miseries and had his life put on the edge a number of times. He lost his very close brother in a tragic accident, also when he was young. I can’t imagine how sad this is because I myself am very close to my siblings. And when my grandfather passed away I was amazed and stunned by how strong my father was, yet his eyes spoke of the sadness he hid inside. I salute my dad for who he is and I’m very proud of him for I never saw him crash, never saw him break and never saw him give up… no matter what.


Something tells me he sees a lot of him in me. Oh wait, he told me that himself.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Incredible post! It is so true; there are no U-turns, what is done is done. Our memories help us keep track of our past… I feel like as I grow older the memories of my childhood fade away, but there are always certain events that you always remember as if it just happened yesterday. It is weird how some events you forget and others that you don’t, and its not like you decided what to remember and what not to. Your posts always make me think of things I never really thought of thinking about... It takes my mind to a whole diff place that’s interesting but also freaky ;p

Reem B. said...

omg... now you're freaking my out. JK

Glad you liked the post sara! ;)

yes, we don't decide what to remember and what not to remember... although we do subconsciously, sometimes.

so my friend I suggest that we make this coming semester a semester hard to forget since we're graduating! :0 lol

Anonymous said...

Yeah this coming semester has to be UNFORGETABLE.. WE have to Make the MOST OUT OF IT.. ;p I CANT WAIT .. :D I am so Excited hehe.. They are Freaky in a POSITIVE WAY.. DOnt ask me how that works.. but IT IS in a good way..

Reem B. said...

I know what you mean. And hey, the trips we planned.... should all work successfully :P *illegal* is the word eh..:p

Anonymous said...

LOL @ Illegal.. Akeen Illegal whats legal is usual and not FUN.. its something we can always do... The FUN of it is that ITS SOMETHING we are NOT MENT TO BE DOING.. HAhA.. lets live our YOUTH before we are old ladies.. and when we are all old in our barage3 we will have fun memeories to talk about.. ;p

Reem B. said...

LOL@Barage3 !!!

Mirror Polisher said...

Another gr8 post.

Yeah, some things don't change and that's the glue that sticks your life all together.

Life is all about creating memories; in the end that's all we have.

Hey, some of the things you still remember brought back some of my old memories...Thanks, it's always nice for a memory to be triggered unexpectantly.

Your dad is a remarkable person; very courageous. We all salute him.

Mirror Polisher said...

oh, btw...pic...Oman...upload...when? ;p

Nick McRae said...

There is a very powerful, often overwhelming beauty in that kind of memory. I like to think that they help us get a tiny glimpse at God.

But that's just the romantic in me :)

Anonymous said...

as usual... one of the best posts!! nicely written wallah!

allah y5alelch ur father inshallah :D

Anonymous said...

a very nice blog filled with great posts:)) take care sis

Pearls said...

omg can ur post is amazing almost made me cry :S actually 1 tear fell.. bas OMG!! wala madri shagool amazing ;** a7is what u said I CANT EXPLAIN! :@ ina something that was inside me scared to speak :S or not speak ... just appear in my brain?:S or just appear.. am talking jibberish arent i? ... oh well i hope u get me ;p i give up... but seriously i love it !!! U RULE!!! ;**

Reem B. said...

Magical Droplets: Yeah exactly! Glue! hehe.... thanks for your sweet words about my dad. *hug*

Nick Mcrae: What you said is true. It does help us get a glimpse at God. Always..

ReKoo: Thanks w allah y5alleelek ur daddy w y5alleek leh :)

Very.Q8ya: Thanks for passing by. sweet of you :)

Pearls: 7abeebty not jebberish! hehe I totally got you walla. And you're so sweet Glad you loved the post. Sometimes when something explodes inside you such words come out :) ;D

Anonymous said...

I want time to fly by!

Reem B. said...

Joel: even THAT takes time ;) lol

Navy Girl said...

girl well said .. there is so many things in life that you can not forget about .. and there are so many things that are stuck into your mind and you cant stop thinking about them .. like that cute kid who was your friend in KG !! man i wish i had his number lol ;P

about your dad .. bless him .. ooo alla y5leeh lech :*

Aisha said...

wow.. beautiful post..

M said...

Beaitfully written ;)
It is nice you still have sweet memories of little things which mattered once upon a time. The yellow coat. I want the cherry wood cabinet! I wanna smell it lol =S

I admire your dad. I wish him well doum and always! Such a strong and inspirng man.

M said...

^^mshalla 3laaih =D

Reem B. said...

Palo girl: :D Merci

Navy Girl: Yeah I know what you mean. 3ad ana I had a lot of secret crushes in KG !! LOL

DeeDee: Awwalan welcome back in Dubai :D!! w el 7emdilla 3al salama....
And the cherrywood cabinet hmmm it was chee mixed with its original smell and ree7at el kloor mal el swimming pool illi kan barra3... fa the smell was ... try to imagine it inti 3ad. lol
Thanks a million for what you said about baba.... he likes you too ;)

Ammaro said...

its hard letting go of the past and accepting how sooner or later, everything around us changes... its also sort of scary, but this is life... nice post, thanks

Reem B. said...

Yes... one of the things that are also never likely to change is this FACT about life. You just never know what is there for you and you will not change this fact.

Thanks ammaro.. :)

i*maginate said...

ya canc3erian this is one of the most beautiful, thought-provoking, wonderfully written posts on blogworld that I have ever seen!

Although I know there's a lot of personal content, all I can think of generally is that one must appreciate life.

My goodness, you convey your thoughts so splendidly: you are so inspiring.

Thank you for the happiness you have brought into my life through this post.

Reem B. said...

i*maginate: Thank you for the sweet words you said in that lovely comment you left me. Awww... You think I'm inspiring? now, that's the most inpiring thing I heard :D

About life, I have learnt to appreciate every bit and inch of it. It also makes me a happier person ;)

Thanks for passing by my blog.