Friday, June 15, 2007

The Irony of Dandelions


Dandelion… Is it just me or does dandelion occupy a special spot in everybody’s heart? Everybody grows up to remember how they once upon a time found dandelions here and there, collected them and started to blow them one after the other.
I remember when I was very little; I would go to this semi-alley thing outside our house and would find dandelion there in a corner. I would then take in my hand… hold it right in front of my lips and very gently blow them away. What’s the secret there, why did it make us smile? We were too young to actually realize the irony it carried with it.
When we were little all we did is see the brightest side of everything. We never saw otherwise. *Knock knock*… here we grow to learn that there are different faces and different sides to people, to objects, to acts, and to incidents, as well. Days are just as funny… or must I say: Just as ironic! One day you’re happy… the other you’re not. Then, you realize your happiness was nothing but your ignorance of what’s to become of your life…
But life goes on… and time starts running as clocks keep ticking. Just like how dandelion gets blown away and gets lost in the wind in a split second, we lose things in our lives….
Just like that!
Life is a lesson; you learn it when you’re through… and man will NEVER know what he has till it’s long lost and gone… This is the irony I’ve come to see in dandelion. Still, it will always be special to me.

3 comments:

M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M said...

Personally dandelions to me remind me of my childhood, and how we use to fight over them with my cousins and who would do the honor of blowing the one we found to the wind!!
We use to find them in odd places, in corners, standing alone!

Unlike today, I'm sure that the kids don't appreciate or see the beauty of the dandelions.

Nice post, and lovely metaphor and so true, "just like how dadelion gets blwown away and gets lost int he wind in a split second, we lose things in our lives..."

Reem B. said...

Thanks DeeDee...
it's a weird generation that came along today. Honestly, I don't wanna start imagining what tomorrow's generation would be like :P